Fermentation Intern in Biotechnology Department (f/m/x) Job Code: 100012
Paid internship / Full-time employment
On-site work locations - HQ in Quakenbrück (near Osnabrück, DE) or Lab/Office hub in North Rhine-Westphalia (near Cologne, DE)
If you're an aspiring biotechnologist who's passionate about fermentation and sustainability, consider joining us as an intern at BIOWEG. You'll be at the forefront of transformative projects that will challenge, inspire, and empower you to learn and grow.
BIOWEG is a purpose-driven startup that is developing functional and biodegradable alternatives to eliminate microplastics from our daily lives. Our innovative approach combines upcycling waste streams in a circular fermentation process, powered by Green Chemistry principles to result in highly functional and pure fermented-cellulose ingredients. We are on a mission to revolutionize multiple industries, including cosmetics, personal care, nutraceuticals, agricultural coatings, and food/beverage. We are more than a company; we are a dynamic force, driving the change we want to see in the world. Join our diverse and relentless team to create a better world and a lasting, sustainable impact!
Role and Responsibilities
- Conduct experiment in the fermentation process using a range of feedstocks.
- Participate in the upstream phase of fermentation, such as media preparation, inoculation, and culture maintenance, with minimal supervision.
- Participate in the downstream phase of fermentation, adapting to various recovery methods to harvest the product.
- Adhere to protocols and guidelines set by the department and company.
- Maintain accurate documentation of all relevant data related to tasks and report responsibly in the format established by the department and company.
- Perform microbiological experiments in a sterile environment with minimal supervision.
- Follow protocol and be capable of operating various equipment independently.
- Support fellow colleagues by assisting with equipment installation, commissioning, maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Maintain infrastructure and equipment safety, regulatory compliance, and maintenance standards.
- Participate in sanitation activities, demonstrating a commitment to maintaining hygiene standards.
Qualifications and Experience
- Currently pursuing a Master's degree or a recent graduate in or related fields to Biotechnology, Microbiology, Bioprocessing Engineering, Biochemistry, Biology or Life science.
- Must have the ability to work in a hands-on and fast-paced environment and collaborate on interdisciplinary projects related to fermentation and metabolism.
- Experienced working with microorganisms and following GLP and aseptic techniques.
- Familiarity with equipment like Microbiology Safety Cabinet, Ultra-centrifuge, Filter Press, Membrane Filtration Unit, Freeze Dryer, etc.
- Strong attention to detail and problem-solving thinking.
- Approaches challenges with a natural sense of curiosity and likes to find new solutions for them.
- Fluency in English - both verbal and written
- Good communication skills, with the ability to work in a multicultural team environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel and PowerPoint is required.
This internship offers a unique opportunity to gain valuable experience in a fast-paced startup environment while contributing to a mission-driven company that is making a positive impact on the planet. You will work alongside a team of talented and passionate professionals who are committed to sustainability and innovation. We offer a supportive and inclusive work culture where your ideas and contributions will be valued and recognized. If you are eager to learn and motivated to make a difference, we encourage you to apply and become part of our team at BIOWEG.