Bio-process Engineer (f/m/x)
Job Code: 100017
On-site work locations in Quakenbrück (near Osnabrück, DE)
We are seeking a skilled and motivated Bio-process Engineer with a minimum of 1 to 4 years of hands-on experience in handling fermenters at the pilot scale level. The ideal candidate will play a crucial role in optimizing and scaling up fermentation processes, contributing to the development of sustainable and innovative bioproduction techniques.
BIOWEG is a purpose-driven startup that is developing functional and biodegradable alternatives to eliminate microplastics from our daily lives. Our innovative approach combines upcycling waste streams in a circular fermentation process, powered by Green Chemistry principles to result in highly functional and pure fermented-cellulose ingredients. We are on a mission to revolutionize multiple industries, including cosmetics, personal care, nutraceuticals, agricultural coatings, and food/beverage. We are more than a company; we are a dynamic force, driving the change we want to see in the world. Join our diverse and relentless team to create a better world and a lasting, sustainable impact!
Role and Responsibilities
- Fermenter Operation: Set up, operate, and maintain pilot-scale fermenters. Ensure proper sterilization, inoculation, feeding, and sampling procedures. Monitor and control process variables to achieve desired product yields and quality.
- Equipment Maintenance: Perform routine maintenance, calibration, and troubleshooting of fermentation equipment. Ensure equipment integrity and functionality to prevent disruptions in production. Conduct routine validation and maintenance of laboratory equipment and instrumentation.
- Fermentation Process Development (Upstream/Downstream): Carry out process independently adhering to the protocol. Collaborate with cross-functional teams to establish process parameters, monitor performance, and troubleshoot issues. Identify opportunities to improve process efficiency, yield, and productivity.
- Data Analysis and Interpretation: Collect and analyze data from fermentation experiments. Submit and discuss data from the experiment and Interpret results, draw meaningful conclusions, and propose actionable recommendations for process enhancement.
- Scale-Up Activities: Collaborate with researchers and team members to facilitate the successful transition of fermentation processes from lab scale to pilot scale, subsequently to larger production scales.
- Quality and Safety: Adhere to strict quality control and safety protocols in all aspects of fermentation processes. Ensure compliance with regulatory guidelines and company standards.
- Documentation: Maintain detailed records of experimental procedures, observations, and results. Generate reports and summaries for internal and external stakeholders.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's or Master’s or Engineering degree in Biochemical Engineering, Biotechnology, Microbiology, or a related field.
- Minimum of 1 to 4 years of hands-on experience operating pilot-scale fermenters in an industrial or research setting.
- Strong understanding of Upstream and Downstream processes and equipment such as fermenters, bioreactors, pumps, controllers, analytical instruments, steam generator, industrial centrifuge, drying equipment, etc.
- Knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
- Strong experience with data analysis software tools such as Excel, or any other statistical software.
- Experience with the SuperPro designer software and/or R scripting is considered an advantage.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to troubleshoot technical issues independently.
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and a commitment to maintaining high-quality standards.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work collaboratively in a multicultural team environment.
- Fluency in English - both verbal and written.
Join our team and experience an attractive mix of challenging job content in a fast-paced startup environment while contributing to a mission-driven company that positively impacts the planet - a supportive culture in an international team of talented and passionate professionals committed to sustainability and innovation. As part of our team, you'll enjoy a competitive salary package, comprehensive health insurance, paid time off, and abundant opportunities for personal growth and development. Our HQ is in Quakenbruck, Niederachsen, and a second lab and office hub in the Dusseldorf / Cologne area.