Formulation Chemist (f/m/x) Job Code: 100014
Paid internship / Full-time employment
On-site work locations - HQ in Quakenbrück (near Osnabrück, DE) or Lab/Office hub in North Rhine-Westphalia (near Cologne, DE)
BIOWEG is a science-based start-up that combines biotechnology, materials science, and molecular simulation learning to produce bio-based, sustainable, and highly functional materials. Our bio-based and biodegradable ingredients enable the personal care, cosmetics, and agricultural coatings industries to replace microplastics and other synthetic additives in their products. Our ambitions and rapid growth have been recognized and supported by recent investments totaling €14 million. We are thus looking to strengthen our team as we ramp up to the next phase of scale and sustainability impact.
Role and Responsibilities
- Strong understanding of client requirements and ability to translate their needs into products.
- Formulate and develop new and innovative products and improving current formulations, which can share with our clients
- Texture and Color matching
- Stay ahead of trends in the cosmetic fields, build depth of understanding and share new product concept approaches with the team
- Must have good knowledge of all laboratory equipment, Viscometer, pH Meter and Moisture Analyser which must be used to perform the essential functions
- Maintain laboratory safety standards
- Manage each project by planning, designing and small batch trials to evaluate internally
- Write, review and approve production batch as well as Pilot batches procedures, protocols and specification
- Must prepare and maintain all records of formulas, SOP, MSDS, COA, etc.
- Responsible for all steps of formula development from Stability testing/evaluation
Qualifications and Experience
- Currently enrolled Masters/PhDs or graduates in or related to Polymer/Material Science & Engineering, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry
- Experience of 0-2 years in the cosmetic or coating formulation industry and surfactants is desired
- Exposure to working with chemical laboratory, knowledge of DOE and quality tools would be considered an advantage
- Must have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and collaborate on interdisciplinary projects related to Polymers, Biopolymer or Biomaterials
- Experience with tools for material analysis especially Rheometer, FT-IR, DSC, SEM, TEM, DMA, XRD, Raman Spectrophotometer, etc.
- Strong attention to detail and problem-solving thinking
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel and PowerPoint is required
BIOWEG offers a unique opportunity to gain valuable experience in a fast-paced startup environment while contributing to a mission-driven company that is making a positive impact on the planet. You will work alongside a team of talented and passionate professionals who are committed to sustainability and innovation. We offer a supportive and inclusive work culture where your ideas and contributions will be valued and recognized. If you are eager to learn and motivated to make a difference, we encourage you to apply and become part of our team.